Hôtel de Ville
place du Soldat Inconnu
One of Calais’ finest landmarks is the Town Hall (1911-25) whose clock towering belfry can be seen for miles around. This magnificent neo-Femish-style structure built of brick and stone was finally completed in 1925 after being interrupted by The Great War. Its purpose was to commemorate the merging of the cities of Calais and Saint Pierre in 1885 on a piece of barren land between the two towns. Today it dominates the main square and can be visited by tourists. It houses paintings and is adorned with stained-glas windows telling the story of the departing English. The windows also act to diffuse the sunlight around the grand staircase. The interior is renowned for the elaborate décor of the reception rooms.
Attached to the town hall is an ornate brick clock tower and belfry that stands 74m/246ft high. The chimes of the bells are most appealing.
Visiting hours: 8am-12 noon and 1.30pm-5.30pm